Wilmington Treatment Center helps individuals struggling with stimulants addiction build a strong foundation for long-term recovery. Located in North Carolina, Wilmington will help you smoothly transition from detoxification to our residential rehab center.
The Importance of Stimulants Detox
Stimulants are a category of drugs that includes legal and illegal substances. For example, cocaine, amphetamines, and methamphetamine all fall under the stimulant category. Adderall and Ritalin are among the many prescription medications that contain stimulants.
When a person ingests a stimulant, he or she typically experiences improvements in mood, energy, and focus. These pleasurable effects can entice individuals to abuse stimulants both for recreational purposes and also as performance-enhancing substances. Since may people have either been prescribed a stimulant or know someone who has used a prescription stimulant, this familiarity and ease of access has contributed to rising rates of prescription stimulant abuse in recent years, often by students or professionals who are attempting to boost their ability to focus and concentrate.
Whether a person is abusing an illegal stimulant in search of a recreational high or a prescription stimulant for help with a cognitive task, this behavior puts the individual at risk for a variety of negative effects and outcomes, including addiction. Known clinically as stimulant use disorder, an addiction to stimulants can have a disruptive impact on virtually all aspects of an individual’s life and can inflict both immediate and long-term physical and psychological harm.
One of the characteristics of stimulant use disorder is a pervasive desire to continue to abuse these dangerous drugs, even when one understands that doing so can be dangerous. Thus, even when a person has acknowledged that he or she has a problem with stimulant abuse, and desires to overcome his or her stimulant dependence, quitting is no simple task.
As elaborated upon in greater detail in the following section, attempting to end a pattern of stimulant abuse can trigger the onset of a variety of distressing symptoms, an experience that is known as stimulant withdrawal.
What Happens During Stimulants Withdrawal
When a person becomes dependent upon a stimulant, his or her body will adapt to the presence of the drug, will crave it, and will react negatively when it is deprived of the drug. The nature and severity of this negative reaction will depend upon several factors, including the type of stimulant that a person has been abusing, the amount of the stimulant that he or she has been abusing, and the length of time that he or she has been engaging in this behavior.
That said, the following are among the more common symptoms that are associated with stimulant withdrawal:
- Powerful cravings for stimulants
- Aches and pain throughout the body
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Sleep disturbances
- Agitation and irritability
When an individual attempts to go through stimulant withdrawal on his or her own, these symptoms can quickly push him or her back into stimulant abuse. Knowing that the pain of withdrawal can be eliminated by ingesting the stimulant that one had previously been abusing can be an overwhelming enticement. When a person aborts an attempt to get through withdrawal, the resulting sense of shame and failure can push him or her even deeper into the destructive spiral of stimulant abuse.
The good news is that there is a better way.
Why Choose Wilmington Treatment Center for Stimulants Detox
Wilmington Treatment Center provides a safe and supportive environment in which men and women can rid their bodies of stimulants under the expert care of compassionate professionals. The following are among the many features of completing detoxification for stimulant addiction at Wilmington Treatment Center:
- Safety – The detox program at our center features round-the-clock supervision by qualified professionals. While in detox, an individual’s health will not be at risk, he or she will not have access to substances of abuse, and he or she will be protected from becoming a risk to him or herself or others.
- Comfort – Depending upon the symptoms that a person is experiencing, his or her individualized detox treatment plan may include certain prescription medications that can alleviate discomfort.
- Expert support – Our detox staff features an array of licensed and certified professionals who are uniquely prepared to provide world-class support.
- Therapeutic opportunities – While still in detox, individuals will have the opportunity to participate in individual, group, and certain experiential therapies, including art therapy, music therapy, yoga, and acupuncture. This can help people to have a more successful detox experience while also preparing them for continued success during residential and/or outpatient treatment.
Long-Term Benefits of Stimulants Detoxification
The features listed above are not the only advantages to completing detoxification at Wilmington Treatment Center. The following benefits of detox can help to sustain an individual’s continued recovery efforts long after he or she has completed the process:
- Success: As noted in the first section of this page, failing to withdraw from stimulants can push a person deeper into substance abuse. Conversely, having a successful detox experience can help a person develop the positive mindset that will help him or her to respond to obstacle and setbacks in a healthy and productive manner.
- Health: During detox at Wilmington Treatment Center, an individual will begin to regain his or her physical and psychological health. The absence of stimulant abuse, the presence of medications to alleviate discomfort, and the opportunity to take part in therapy will begin to exert positive effects that, if nurtured and continued, can develop into a long-term success.
- Community: While in detox at Wilmington Treatment Center, an individual will be introduced to the power and possibility of the recovery community. Throughout the nation and across the globe, individuals and families who are walking the path of recovery are part of a vibrant and dynamic community that can be an invaluable source of support.
To learn more about detox for stimulant addiction, or for additional information on our other services, please feel free to contact our center at your convenience. We look forward to answering all of your questions and helping you determine if Wilmington Treatment Center is the perfect place for you or a loved one.