Although marketed as a “safe” alternative to natural marijuana, synthetic marijuana is actually a dangerous drug. Often referred to as K2 or spice, synthetic marijuana is made from dried plant material and various psychoactive chemicals. Part of the reason why synthetic marijuana is so dangerous is because the composition of the drug is constantly changing. In an attempt to remain one step ahead of authorities, synthetic marijuana manufacturers often use different psychoactive substances to make new formulations of synthetic marijuana. However, this results in the drug having unpredictable effects on those who use it, which can possibly include rapid heart rate, violent behavior, paranoia, hallucinations, other symptoms of psychosis, and even death.
Fortunately, Wilmington Treatment Center has helped individuals with synthetic marijuana use disorder and other substance use disorders for over 30 years. Located in beautiful coastal Wilmington, North Carolina, our friendly, caring staff is committed to helping each person in our care find freedom from synthetic marijuana abuse and live the life that he or she deserves.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
When a loved one is struggling with synthetic marijuana abuse, it may feel as though there is little you can do to help. In reality, there are a number of ways you can be of assistance, including:
- Conduct research on synthetic marijuana and learn about the drug and the effects it may have on your loved one. Doing so will help you understand your loved one’s experience and develop a plan for how to respond to a potential overdose. Consult with authoritative sources such as reputable websites, treatment experts, and your family physician for reliable information about synthetic marijuana.
- Learn about options for care that may benefit your loved one. Understanding the different levels of care available and the types of treatment offered by various centers can help you assess which would be most advantageous for your loved one. During this process, feel free to contact the admissions departments of the various centers and speak with them about their treatment programs.
- Once you have learned about synthetic marijuana and the various options for treatment, you can begin conversations with your loved one about seeking care. During these conversations, remember that your loved one is in crisis so it is important to remain patient and nonjudgmental. Be sensitive to his or her needs and try to not force the issue on him or her. Instead, make your concerns known and reinforce that you will remain by your loved one’s side.
- When your loved one is ready to enter treatment, work with him or her to help take care of scheduling appointments with admissions staff members, as well as assisting with any other issues that may need to be addressed prior to admission. While your loved one is in treatment, actively support him or her by attending family sessions and checking up regularly on him or her.
- It is difficult to overstate the importance of taking care of yourself during this process. Making time for your hobbies and relationships and seeking the support of family and friends can be the difference between being an effective or ineffective source of support for your loved one.
Why Consider Rehab at Wilmington Treatment Center
The potential negative consequences of long-term synthetic marijuana abuse are broad and far-reaching. In fact, because it is a relatively new drug, experts are still unsure about the extent of the potential long-term harm that this drug can cause. That being said, it is understood that synthetic marijuana abuse can strain a person’s relationships to the breaking point, potentially resulting in social isolation and a loss of social support. People who abuse this drug are unlikely to be able to function effectively at work, meaning that their long-term financial and occupational livelihood could be at stake. In addition, the drug is known to cause extreme anxiety and paranoia as well as cardiovascular issues and even death. Fortunately, by seeking treatment, one can overcome a synthetic marijuana use disorder and break the chains of addiction.
Types of Treatment Offered at Wilmington Treatment Center
Situated along the Atlantic coast in Wilmington, North Carolina, Wilmington Treatment Center is where men and women come to receive the restorative care that they need to live healthier, joyful, and more productive lives, free from the constraints of addiction. Since 1984, our synthetic marijuana addiction rehab has been able to help thousands of individuals win the war against substance abuse and chemical dependency, and we believe that we can help you or your loved one achieve the same goal.
Our 139-bed center is licensed as a hospital and employs a team of professionals who are dedicated to helping patients as they navigate the road to recovery. The programming offered at our rehab programming offers the most advanced and effective treatment protocols, and we have structured our treatment so that patients can receive a full spectrum of services under one roof. In choosing our center to recover from an addiction to synthetic marijuana, the following types of treatment are among those available to you so that you can learn to make the changes needed to achieve each one of your recovery goals:
Inpatient detoxification: Long-term abuse of certain substances, such as synthetic marijuana, can cause a person’s body to become dependent on them. When this is the case, detox services become an important step in the recovery process. Our inpatient detoxification is medically monitored and allows patients to have their bodies cleared of their substances of abuse so that they are able to effectively participate in our rehabilitation programming.
Individual therapy: Wilmington patients are assigned a primary counselor upon admission to our center, and will be able to meet with this staff member as requested by the patient or as recommended by our team. We believe that those looking to defeat an addiction to synthetic marijuana can greatly benefit from one-on-one time with a counselor, as these meetings can be a time to process feelings and emotions, set present and future goals, and talk through any experiences had while in our care.
Group therapy: Those who are battling an addiction to synthetic marijuana often suffer through their addiction alone. At our rehab, however, patients are part of a community that stands as a united front in the war against substance abuse and addiction. Group therapy sessions, where men and women truly feel that sense of community, are integral to the care we offer at our center. The following group therapy opportunities, which are offered daily in the mornings and afternoons, are but a few examples of those we make available to our patients:
- Chronic pain group
- Understanding relapse group
- Process group
- Community meetings
- 12-Step groups
- Men’s group
- Discharge planning group
- Women’s group
- Life Stages Groups, which cover specific topics centered around the needs of young adults, middle adults, and those chosen by the patients themselves
Recreational Therapy Program: Living a sober life, free from the grips of a synthetic marijuana addiction, means much more than just abstaining from substance abuse. For many individuals working on their recovery, sobriety also means discovering new leisure activities and enjoying them in a manner that does not involve the use of synthetic marijuana or other substances. In order to expose our patients to substance-free fun, Wilmington Treatment Center is pleased to offer a Recreational Therapy Program that allows patients to participate in activities and hobbies that help men and women hold true to their treatment goals.
Recreation time: At our center, participation in physical, social, recreational, cultural, and health maintenance activities is an important part of our patients’ day-to-day life at our center. Monday through Friday, we designate 90 minutes of recreation time, during which patients can take part in the following:
- Big Book Study
- Air hockey
- Arts and crafts
- Bocce ball
- Art therapy
- Board games
- Coloring pages
- Working on your Step 1
- Recovery Bible study
- Run/walk fitness trail
- Ping pong
- Foundations training
- Therapy outings
Family therapy: If it is deemed necessary for a patient’s care, family members, loved ones, and our patients can have scheduled family sessions with our licensed marriage and family therapist. Recognizing that an addiction to synthetic marijuana has the ability to affect those closest to our patients, these sessions can be used as a time to repair the damage addiction has caused and can be the setting in which bonds can be reestablished in a healthy and constructive manner.
Family Program: In an effort to provide education and support to the family members and loved ones in our patients’ lives, Wilmington is pleased to offer a Family Program. Offered each Saturday and Sunday, this program allows individuals in our patients’ primary support networks to come together to share their stories, learn about resources available to them, and receive the care they need to help the person they care about successfully recover from an addiction to synthetic marijuana. Wilmington also offers a more intensive Family Program that covers the same material and offers the same level of support, though that programming is offered on the first Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of each month.
Operation Recovery: A unique treatment track offered at our center, Operation Recovery is a specialized treatment option designed to meet the specific addiction treatment needs of military service members and first responders. This track utilizes the Seeking Safety Model for treating trauma, and includes a variety of treatment methods, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Group sessions with active duty and/or retired military personnel
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy through Wilmington’s Combat Related PTSD Program
- Coordination of care between medical and clinical staff
- Introduction to the 12-Steps and Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) meetings with military staff from local bases
- Monthly presentations led by Military One Source and the local Veterans Association
- Family involvement
- Command involvement (when consent is granted)
During the treatment planning process, the above methods of care can be added to a patient’s personalized treatment plan. Our staff works closely with those who choose to heal and recover at Wilmington to determine the types of the treatment that will be best suited to meet patients’ individual needs. Should a patient’s needs change, his or her treatment plan can also be revised in order to help the person as he or she works towards achieving new goals.
Following completion of our inpatient rehabilitation program, patients can then step down to our partial hospitalization level of care, and then intensive outpatient treatment so that they can continue to work towards living the recovered and sober lives they deserve to be living.
If you or your loved one would like to learn more about Wilmington Treatment Center’s transformative treatment and how we can help you or a person you care about leave an addiction to synthetic marijuana in the past, please contact our rehab to gather more information. Our staff is happy to speak with you and can help you determine if our center is the perfect place to have your or your loved one’s addiction treatment needs met.